Trump, Strait of Hormuz and Iran
Digest more
President Trump last week announced an operation to guide ships through the Strait of Hormuz amid the Iranian blockade, and then two days later, he announced it would be paused. Energy Secretary Chris Wright told "Face the Nation with Margaret Brennan" that the U.
"Project Freedom", which began on Monday, will be halted because progress has been made toward a deal with Iran, the US president says.
President Donald Trump said the US Navy will start preventing ships from passing through the Strait of Hormuz, after US-Iran peace talks ended without agreement.
A cargo ship near the Strait of Hormuz has reported an attack by multiple small craft. That's according to a British military monitor.
As President Trump again voiced optimism that Iran will "make a deal" to end the war, Tehran declared itself the regulator of Strait of Hormuz shipping.
The announcement comes hours after a merchant ship reported being attacked by multiple "small" boats near the Strait of Hormuz.
President Donald Trump said his representatives are having “positive discussions” with Iran as the two countries trade peace proposals. Meanwhile, the average cost of gas in the US rose to $4.45 a gallon.
Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said Iran is still looking over a proposal from the U.S. regarding an end to the war, adding that Tehran will not respond to “deadlines or ultimatums" and that those "mean nothing.